Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Girl Twice

I will share a secret with you. The persons in the plate below are actually the same person twice.

doublec

Another collagraph, this one with fabric making up the background and my ubiquitous carborundum grit painting for the faces. I was uncertain about the fabric, it being so much taller than the rest of the plate. The embossing could have been overpowing, as could have the texture been. In the first inkings of the plate, the fabric was just way too obvious, but I think it worked out pretty well in the end.

The press at school is giant. I do big prints just because I can now, eating through paper with great rapidity, and seeing my savings dwindle in $2.50 increments with each print.

press

The image itself is 14 by 20, which only seems big because I'm a printmaker. Painters scoff at the miniaturized images in printmaking, the dictates of paper size and press ever present in the artist's considerations when working on a print.

double c, printed

I included this print in a portfolio for a grant application from the Los Angeles Printmaking Society, along with five other prints, three of which were three dimensional. So far, I only know that one of the graduate students in the program recieved the grant, but which one is still unknown. I hate hate hate waiting to find things out.

1 comment:

ainesse said...

Camilla when I saw the plate for this I didn't see it as much of an interesting print

BUT then I saw the proof and yeah it DOES look pretty good.

Good luck with your grant application. Those things are SUCH a pain in the butt Yuck !!

Aine