Saturday, January 30, 2010

Print Survey Class First Assignment Demo: Monotype

Friday, I did my first demo for the Print Survey class I'm assistant teaching. Luckily for me, last week I spent hours making monotypes in front of a crowd so I was prepared to do it for the 26 or so students in the class. Though the crowd at the LA Art Show was significantly more enthusiastic, I still think I did a pretty good job.

First print: flat of color, reductive monoprint using oil based inks with a stencil made from torn paper and talcum powder.
Monotype demo prints-oil based inks, flat color, reductive and stencil

Using the ghost of ink from the first print, I made an additive monotype with oil based inks and chine colle for the shirt:
Monotype demo prints-additive to ghost, chine colle

Roxanne Sexauer, the professor for the class, showed the students tracing and then printed the traced plate. Finally, I showed the class an additive monotype using hydrated watercolors (the kind which comes in a tube) and aquacrayons:
Monotype demo prints-waterbased inks, additive
Using waterbased materials is useful if you can't spend a lot of time in the studio. Since you have to wait for the watercolor to dry before printing anyway, you can make the painting on the plate at home and then bring it to school to print it.

Then, we let the class go, and while I was cleaning up all the inks and rollers and such from doing the demos, I made this final print using the ghost from the previous plate. I think this one is the most successful of the day.
Monotype demo prints from Print Survey Class-waterbased inks, additive to ghost

No comments: