Sunday, May 06, 2007

Culpable, II

Last night, I had a weird dream about one of my favorite internet comics. Mr. Jeffrey Rowland, true to form, wore an animal costume throughout the dream, and we ate large tomatoes together. His animal costume got sticky in a completely nonsexual way.

Onto more relevant blog subjects. Friday was the second reception for "Culpable" at Trunk Space Gallery. It went amazingly well. I sold quite a few pieces, and all to people who I was happy to have bits of me in their homes.

I had a completely new piece for the show, that I finished just minutes before the reception. Nop one purchased any of the edition for the new piece, but it was recieved pretty well anyway, and I'm very pleased with it. It was whipped out in less than a week, including sketches, mockup, carving, printing, and finally sewing (although, I was only able to sew two of the projected 60 in the edition).
IMG_5930

In contrast to the last reception, people engaged in a little less "family making." Here's an example of bullying by proxy:
IMG_5981
Although, one man went through the gallery and hugged all of the pieces. It was lovely to watch.
IMG_5943 (Medium)
IMG_5958 (Medium)
IMG_5933 (Medium)
IMG_5925 (Small)
Noodle, the homeless gallery cat, made a brief appearance and sniffed around, before he finally got scared away by the crowd.
IMG_5967 (Medium)

The show got some great publicity, which I'm certain helped to get people there and convince them to spend some money. Lilia Menconi did a studio visit with me, and was kind enough not to mention the ridiculous filthiness of my studio, or dwell too much on my bondage gear business as I'm way too familiar with journalists doing when ostensibly writing about my art.
(click on the image to read the article)
r

Lastly, and most importantly, I got the most awesome rad thing. And this thing, this most wonderful of things, arrived in an appropriate way. A quite boy who I had just met, after buying a piece fromt he show, returned to the gallery with a package secured with a big bulldog clip. What I found inside made me squeal and make horrible noises, so overcome with excitement was I. If you don't understand, it cannot be explained to you.
IMG_5993

1 comment:

shula said...

I don't understand exactly, but I get the general drift.

Love it. All of it. Just wonderful.